Online College Courses Available in Tennessee (TN)
The Tennessee Higher Education Commission is responsible for coordinating public colleges and universities in the state. The commission oversees the two public university systems: the University of Tennessee system and the Tennessee Board of Regents. The former system has its own online and distance learni00ng initiative, while the latter system is comprised of six universities, 13 community colleges, and 27 institutions of technology. Many of these online college courses in Tennessee are taught through these schools. Per federal regulations, the state of Tennessee requires that all distance learning programs be authorized with the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.
Nashville. Tennessee’s capital city is known for its music, culture, and outstanding colleges and universities. Online college courses in Nashville are available at several schools that specialize in online degrees, such as Strayer University.
Memphis. The city of Memphis is home to several public, private, faith-based, and for-profit institutions of higher learning, many of which offer online courses. As the second largest metropolitan area in Tennessee, Memphis has the University of Tennessee Health Science Center, a member of the University of Tennessee system, as well as several seminary schools.
- Baptist Memorial College of Health Sciences. Since 1912, this private, four-year institution offers bachelor’s degrees in nursing, general health studies, and allied health. Students can pursue concentrations in sonography, radiation therapy, and nuclear medicine, among many more options.
- Christian Brothers University. This private Catholic institution has the proud distinction of being ranked as one of the best Southeastern colleges by Princeton Review and ranked by U.S. News & World Report several years in a row as one of the best master’s universities in the South. Currently, the school offers certificates, undergraduate, and graduate degrees for traditional students, as well as evening students and Yellow-Ribbon veterans.
- Southwest Tennessee Community College. An essentially younger school since it was formally established in 2001, this state funded community college has two campuses, four centers, and two annexes throughout Memphis proper. Available online courses are offered through the Regents Online Degree Program, which covers distance learning programs at all of the institutions covered by the Tennessee Board of Regents.
- Strayer University – Tennessee. This private, for-profit institution offers several degree options online for Memphis residents. Students can enroll in online programs in human resources management, business administration, public administration, and more at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree level.
- Tennessee Technology Center at Memphis. With locations throughout Tennessee, this technological school, governed by the Tennessee Board of Regents offers online courses in health information technology, criminal justice, web technology, and interdisciplinary studies. Students can earn credits toward a certificate or associate, bachelor’s, or master’s degree.
- University of Memphis. With an approximate current enrollment of over 23,000 students, University of Memphis is a public research university overseen by the Tennessee Board of Regents. Established in 1912, University of Memphis has acquired a number of colleges and schools focusing on several academic disciplines. online courses offered include bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, and certificates.
- Victory University. This private faith-based school is a non-denominational Christian institution that prides itself on integrating faith into learning and on promoting whole-self development. The school currently offers online programs in psychology, theology, and business. Certificates, associate, and bachelor’s degrees are available.
Knoxville. As the third largest city in Tennessee, Knoxville is home to University of Tennessee’s flagship campus. While Knoxville has a number of public and private colleges, it also has a number of campuses and satellites to larger, well-known universities.
- Fountainhead College of Technology. Formerly known as the Tennessee Institute of Electronics, this career training school offers four online degree programs. Online courses in Knoxville include associate degrees in computer programming and information technology, as well as bachelor’s degrees in network security and forensics, and application development within computer technology.
- ITT Technical Institute – Knoxville. With several campuses nationwide, ITT Technical Institute offers several online degrees for students both in and out of Knoxville. Available online degrees include associate and bachelor’s degrees in disciplines in information technology, business, and criminal justice.
- Johnson University. Formerly known as Johnson Bible College, this private, faith-based institution offers some of its courses online. These courses are available to currently enrolled Johnson University students as well as former students, students enrolled at other institutions, guest applicants, and those who qualify for Disability Ministry study.
- Pellissippi State Community College. This state-funded community college has three satellite campuses and currently has over 10,000 students enrolled. Online courses and programs are offered through the Regents Online Campus Collaborative, just like many other community colleges governed by the Tennessee Board of Regents.
- Tennessee Technology Center at Knoxville. As one of the many campuses within the state, Tennessee Technology Center at Knoxville offers online certificates in business systems technology, computer information technology, and drafting and CAD technology. As with all its other centers, Tennessee Technology Center at Knoxville is publicly funded and governed by the Tennessee Board of Regents.
- The University of Tennessee. This flagship campus of the statewide public university system takes online education seriously enough to have its own student and instructor-friendly online platform to make access to online courses easier. Online programs are offered at all levels: certificate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate. Students can even listen to class lectures on iTunes.