Online College Courses Available in South Carolina (SC)
Also known as the Palmetto State, which is a name derived from its state tree, the Sabal Palmetto, South Carolina was the eight state to ratify the U.S. Constitution. It is a costal state, known for its beaches and humid subtropical climate. It has 105 institutions of higher education, half of which offer online college courses in South Carolina. The state has an association dedicated to improving education: the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education
Charleston. With a skyline filled with churches, Charleston is also known as “The Holy City.” A large city, Charleston offers many educational opportunities for students.
- Charleston Southern University. CSU was founded in 1964 and is one of the largest independent, faith-based institutions in South Carolina. It is affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Convention. The university’s mission is to blend faith with a high quality of learning. It offers online courses for students that need flexibility.
- Citadel Military College of South Carolina. Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report as the top southern college of institutions that grant up to a master’s degree, the Citadel Military College grants military degrees, non-military degrees, and certifications to its students. It prides itself on offering a flexible learning schedule in the form of online distance education and evening undergraduate studies. Citadel Military College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- College of Charleston. The College of Charleston is a public liberal arts and sciences college that serves students from all over the nation. It was founded in 1770 and since then, it has continued to provide strong research-based programs. It offers online courses with curriculums similar to those offered in the traditional classroom.
- Medical University of South Carolina. MUCS focuses on training individuals for careers in the health field. A public university that began 1924 with the mission of training doctors, MUSC now offers education for a broad range of medical fields. Some classes can be taken online so as to better fit in a student’s schedule.
- Trident Technical College. TTC is a two-year public college that offers associate degrees and certification programs. TTC prepares students for careers by offering a broad, well-rounded curriculum and job-specific training. Some programs are offered online.
Columbia. The capital of South Carolina, Columbia is the largest city in the state. It boasts many educational opportunities in the form of public and private universities.
- Columbia College. Columbia College is a private women’s college that focuses on liberal arts education. It was founded in 1854 and has roots as one of the oldest women’s colleges in the nation. It grants undergraduate and graduate degrees, and offers some courses online.
- Columbia International University. CIU is a private, faith-based institution that awards certificates, associate degrees, bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, and doctorate degrees. It is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and offers a wide variety of fields in which students can study. CIU provides online courses for students to take from anywhere across the globe.
- ITT Technical Institute – Columbia. ITT is a private school dedicated to educating students in areas rooted in technology. It offers seven schools of study with the opportunity to major in fields such as criminal justice, information technology, information systems, and computer forensics. The curriculum is flexible, as ITT caters to working adults.
- South University – Columbia. The Columbia campus of South University offers a wide variety of programs. Students can pursue undergraduate and graduate degrees, the courses for many of which can be taken online. South University provides a small, but comfortable class environment for its on-campus students.
- University of Phoenix – Columbia. A private for-profit institution, the University of Phoenix is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. It offers programs both on-campus and fully online. Students have the opportunity to pursue undergraduate and graduate degrees.
- University of South Carolina – Columbia. The University of South Carolina was founded as just one building in 1805. Today, it spans many building among multiple campuses. Offering a wide range of programs, students can take course work both online and in the physical classroom.
- Virginia College – Columbia. Virginia College offers a fast-track option for students hoping to establish careers in the medical or business fields. For added convenience, it offers many classes online. It boasts a flexible curriculum geared toward adults who want to improve their career options as soon as possible.
Greenville. Close to the Blue Ridge Mountains, Greenville is in the northwest corner of South Carolina. It has four universities that offer online courses dedicated to preparing students for their future careers.
- Bob Jones University.. BJU is a faith-based private university. It offers students the opportunity to earn undergraduate and graduate degrees in liberal arts fields. Some classes are offered online.
- Greenville Technical College. Greenville Tech offers short-term training geared to meet the current work climate. Students can train for particular jobs or they can take classes that will transfer toward a bachelor’s degree. Many courses are offered over the Internet.
- ITT Technical Institute – Greenville. Offering seven schools of study, ITT is a school that aims to educate students in technologically-based fields. Students can pursue both campus-based and online course work. ITT prides itself on having a flexible curriculum for its students.
- Strayer University – South Carolina. Strayer is a private for-profit institution. It boasts a curriculum geared toward working adults, and offers flexible course work both online and in the physical classroom. It is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education