Online College Courses Available in Maine (ME)
The northern-most of America’s contiguous states, Maine, the Pine Tree State, is known for its moose, lobster, and lighthouses. With a population of just over 1.3 million people, Maine is among the top 10 states with the lowest population. As such, Maine has only a few colleges and universities. The University of Maine System boasts a main campus in Orono, along with six other campuses across the state, as well as distance and online learning programs. The Maine Community College System also has seven community colleges across the state, and both public systems offer online college courses in Maine and to residents elsewhere.
Bangor. Located near the Atlantic coastline, Bangor is a city of around 150,000 people. Bangor offers educational opportunities at two different colleges, which offer online college courses in Bangor and to residents across the state, country, and world.
- Eastern Maine Community College. Part of the Maine Community College System, Eastern Maine Community College is a two-year public college that serves more than 2,000 students in certificate and associate degree programs. The college offers degrees and certifications in fields including welding, biology, finance, and writing, and non-credit courses in electrical codes, bartending, phlebotomy, and other fields.
- Husson University. This small private school serves more than 3,000 students in certificate, associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs. Husson offers degrees in nursing, communications, business, education, law, and other fields, in Bangor and on various satellite campuses.
Portland. Located along Casco Bay, Portland is known for its scenic beaches, historic forts, and lighthouses. Portland’s metropolitan area is home to more than 230,000 people, making it Maine’s largest city and home to nearly a quarter of the state’s population. It is also home to one of Maine’s largest universities, the University of Southern Maine, which offers residents online college courses in Portland and across the state.
- University of Southern Maine. This four-year public university serves more than 9,000 students and offers certificates and associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees. USM offers more than 150 online courses each semester and offers several entirely-online programs, such as a bachelor’s degree in leadership and organizational studies, and a master’s degree in adult and higher education.
South Portland. Located due south of Portland along Casco Bay, South Portland is a small city with large educational opportunities. South Portland was chosen as Maine’s location for Kaplan University, a large for-profit system, and is home to Southern Maine Community College, one of the state’s largest campuses. Both schools offer a variety of online college courses in South Portland.
- Kaplan University- Maine Campus. The Maine campus of the national for-profit institution serves more than 1,300 students on campus in two-year degree programs. Kaplan offers online associate degrees in a variety of fields, including criminal justice, fire science, medical assisting, and public administration.
- Southern Maine Community College. Part of the Maine Community College System, the two-year public community college offers certificates and two-year degrees to more than 7,000 students. It offers online courses in math, French, marine biology, physics, and other fields.