Online College Courses Available in Iowa (IA)
The public university system in Iowa is overseen by the Iowa Board of regents and is comprised of three schools: Iowa State University, the University of Iowa, and the University of Northern Iowa. The University of Iowa’s creative writing program is one of the best graduate-level writing programs in the nation, maintaining notable faculty throughout the years such as Robert Hass, Louise Glí¼ck, and Robert Penn Warren. For those interested in online college courses in Iowa, there are a variety of options offered by the state’s public universities as well as a number of community colleges and private institutions.
Cedar Falls. Home to the University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls has a population of 39,260 according to the 2010 census. The city was founded in 1845 and is located in northeastern Iowa.
- La James International College – Cedar Falls. La James International College is a career-focused college with the goal to enroll, educate, graduate, and place individuals in the beauty industry. They offer programs in cosmetology, massage therapy, esthetics, and nail technology.
- University of Northern Iowa. Consistently ranked as one of the top public schools in the Midwest by U.S. News and World Report, students at the University of Northern Iowa have their choice of more than 120 different majors. In addition, the university also offers online programs in areas such as education, non-profit development, and liberal studies.
Cedar Rapids. Established in 1838, Cedar Rapids is now the second largest city in Iowa. It is known at the “City of Five Seasons.” The fifth season being time to enjoy all four seasons.
- ITT Technical Institute – Cedar Rapids. With more than 130 campuses nationwide, ITT Technical Institute specializes in technology-oriented programs of study including electronics, information technology, and computer-aided drafting and design. They offer both associate and bachelor’s degrees.
- Kirkwood Community College. This two-year, public community college offers certificates and associate degrees. Their online programs include business administration, liberal arts, management, and water environmental technology.
Des Moines. Des Moines is the capital city of Iowa and, with a population of more than 200,000 people, it is also the state’s largest city. In election years, the city is home to the Iowa caucuses, the first major electoral event in the nomination of theUnited States presidential candidate.
- AIB College of Business. This private institution offers accelerated associate and bachelor’s degrees. Evening and online courses are available in areas such as accounting, business administration, communications, and court reporting.
- Des Moines University – Osteopathic Medical Center. Founded in 1898, Des Moines University is the second oldest osteopathic medical school in the United States. The school offers students online and blended learning opportunities with features such as online access to recorded lectures, course materials, quizzes, and discussion boards.
- Drake University. This private, four-year university boasts the oldest law school in the nation west of the Mississippi River. Today, Drake offers online programs in areas such as education, public administration, and business.
- Grand View University. Grand View University offers a variety of evening and online courses specially designed with working adults in mind. Areas of study include accounting, criminal justice, nursing, and psychology.
- Mercy College of Health Sciences. Online programs are available in health care administration, nursing, and polysomnographic (sleep) technology. These programs are designed with a great amount of flexibility and an aim to build career-focused skills and knowledge.