Online College Courses Available in Hawaii (HI)
The largest institution of higher learning in Hawaii is the University of Hawaii. The central research campus is in Honolulu, but the university system also includes campuses in Hilo and Pearl City, as well as seven community colleges. In all, the system serves more than 50,000 students. For those interested in enrolling in online college courses in Hawaii, the University of Hawaii system offers a variety of distance education programs through their campuses. In addition, there are a number of private universities and community colleges offering online options.
Honolulu. The capital of Hawaii, Honolulu is also the largest city in the state, with a population of 953,207 according to the 2010 census. The city is located on the island of Oahu and is home to a number of colleges and universities, the largest being the University of Hawaii’s main research campus at Manoa.
- Argosy University – Hawaii. This four-year, private, for-profit school offers bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees. Online programs are offered in areas such as business, education, psychology, and health sciences.
- Chaminade University of Honolulu. Chaminade University of Honolulu is a relatively small private school with a student-to-faculty ratio of 12 to 1, facilitating a highly personalized learning environment. In addition, Chaminade has a number of online and evening programs specially designed for adult learners.
- Hawaii Pacific University. Serving more than 8,000 students, Hawaii Pacific University offers degrees from the associate to master’s levels. The school also offers online courses through the Navy College Program Distance Learning Partnership (NCPDLP).
- Heald College – Honolulu. This two-year, for-profit school specializes in career-focused educational programs. Courses of study include medical assisting, sales and marketing, and electronics technology.
- Honolulu Community College. Part of the University of Hawaii system, Honolulu Community College serves more than 4,700 students. Distance learning courses are offered in subjects ranging from accounting to philosophy.
- Kapiolani Community College. Another community college under the University of Hawaii system, Kapiolani Community College offers certificates and associate degrees. They offer distance education courses for educational interpreters and assistants.
- Remington College – Honolulu. This four-year, private, for-profit college offers certificates, associate, and bachelor’s degrees. Remington specializes in providing its students practical, hands-on training to prepare them for the workforce. Online programs are available in business, marketing, and criminal justice.
- University of Hawaii at Manoa. Home to the main offices of the University of Hawaii system, the Manoa campus serves more than 20,000 students. Distance learning programs include elementary education, educational leadership, human resources management, and nursing.
Hilo. Hilo is the largest settlement on the Island of Hawaii, also known as the Big Island. Though commonly referred to as a city, Hilo is not incorporated and has no municipal government.
- Hawaii Community College. This two-year, public community college is part of the University of Hawaii system. The school serves more than 3,800 students and offers certificates and associate degrees.
- University of Hawaii at Hilo. The University of Hawaii at Hilo offers bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees. Distance education programs include business administration, nursing, and indigenous teacher education.
Pearl City. Located on the Island of Oahu along the north shore of Pearl Harbor, Pearl City is home to 47,698 residents according to the 2010 census.
- Leeward Community College. One of the seven community colleges in the University of Hawaii system, Leeward serves nearly 8,000 students. Online courses are offered in subjects ranging from visual arts to botany.
- University of Hawaii – West Oahu. This University of Hawaii campus serves more than 1,400 students. Distance learning programs include business administration, health care administration, and political science.