Online College Courses Available in Florida (FL)
The Sunshine State of Florida is known not only for its tourism destinations and diverse cultural landscape, but also for its excellence in public higher education. Florida has several highly ranked, recognized schools and many of its cities are home to several accredited online degree programs and colleges. Some of the schools included in the State University System of Florida are University of Florida, University of South Florida, and Florida State University, along with 25 other schools within the system. Each year, more than $500 million in sponsored research is conducted at universities in Florida.
Jacksonville. With the largest urban park system in the United States, Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida and the fourteenth largest city in the country. In addition to an international airport, three major railroads run through Jacksonville, and three marine terminals make Jacksonville the second largest import and export automobile center in the United States. Well-known schools such as the University of Phoenix and Nova Southeastern University are just some of the places that offer online college courses in Jacksonville.
- Florida State College. Florida residents can take advantage of the distance learning and online courses offered through this four-year state school. Students can pursue associate degrees in art as well as A.S. degrees in Business Administration, Criminal Justice Technology, and Industrial Management Technology. Online certificates in accounting, business, marketing, and office support are also available. Florida State College even has a cable channel with a schedule that airs lectures from different courses throughout the day.
- Jones College. Accredited by ACICS (Accrediting Council of Independent Colleges and Schools), this Jacksonville-based private, for-profit college offers courses both online and on-campus. Currently only offering Associate of Science degrees, students can attend courses online in business administration, computer information systems, and interdisciplinary studies. Florida residents can exclusively take advantage of Jones College’s Legal Assistant associate degree program, as well as its career development services that assist students in preparing cover letters and resumes, locating potential employers, and providing practice for job interviews.
- Jacksonville University. This four-year private university is open to residents outside of Jacksonville and offers online RN to BSN degrees as well as Master of Science in Nursing degrees with a concentration in Nursing Education or Leadership in Healthcare Systems.
- ITT Technical Institute. This private, for-profit college has campuses across Florida as well as throughout the United States, and awards degrees at the associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degree levels. Students can pursue online degrees from ITT Tech’s School of Drafting and Design, School of Information Technology, School of Criminal Justice, School of Business, or their School of Nursing which recently opened on Jacksonville’s campus.
- University of Phoenix. By offering online and on-campus courses, this private, for-profit institution offers online college degrees in Jacksonville at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree levels. Students can pursue degrees from University of Phoenix’s many programs in business and management, criminal justice and security, education, human services, arts, psychology, technology, and nursing and health care.
- Virginia College – Jacksonville. Available online degree programs at this private, for-profit college with satellite locations throughout the southeastern United States include criminal justice, health service management, paralegal studies, cybersecurity, and many more.
Orlando. Located in central Florida, this well-known tourist hotspot has the third largest metropolitan area in the state. Online college courses in Orlando can be earned from popular institutions such as Nova Southeastern University, Everest University, and University of Phoenix.
- Florida Institute of Technology. Since 2000, Florida Tech has offered complete degrees online at the associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degree level. Undergraduate students can choose between eight week and 15-week courses, while graduate courses are only offered courses in 15-week intervals. Degrees range from business administration at all degree levels, as well as degrees in accounting, healthcare, criminal justice, and information technology. Florida Tech even offers the first Greek organization for online students, Theta Omega Gamma.
- University of Florida – Orlando. This public, four-year college has a campus in Orlando also offers online courses at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate degree levels. University of Florida’s Virtual Campus offers online degrees in programs through the College of Education, College of Pharmacy, and College of Business Administration, among many other programs. If you are not looking to pursue an entire degree, courses and certificates are also available online. Residents of Florida may be entitled to lower tuition costs, as University of Florida is ranked among the cheapest universities in the American Association of Universities.
- University of Central Florida – Orlando. Another one of Florida’s public universities, University of Central Florida has its main campus in Orlando and has partnerships with several local community colleges. UCF also offers several degree and certificate programs online. Undergraduate degree programs include political science, health services administration, interdisciplinary studies, nursing, and technical education. Meanwhile, graduate degrees and certificates are offered through UCF’s colleges of education, engineering and computer science, arts and humanities, health and public affairs, nursing, and sciences.
- Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences. This private, faith-based college offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees in a wide range of health science disciplines, including nursing, biomedical sciences, and occupational therapy. Completion courses in nursing are offered entirely online for registered nurses pursuing Bachelor of Science in Nursing degrees.
- Everest University. With campuses in both North Orlando and South Orlando, Everest University also offers online college courses in addition to associate, bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
- International Academy of Design and Technology. With a campus in Orlando and many more across the country, this for-profit art school offers online associate and bachelor’s degrees in graphic design, web design and development, and information technology.
Miami. Known for its sunny weather, multicultural population, and exciting night life, the city of Miami is home to several public and private colleges and universities. For online college courses in Miami, residents can choose from any of the large state schools offering online programs, local colleges such as City Colleges, or local campuses for schools such as Strayer University.
- Florida International University. As one of the bigger public universities located in Miami, Florida International University (FIU) is the fifteenth largest university in the country and the largest in South Florida. FIU offers certificates as well as undergraduate and graduate degrees entirely online. Professionals can also satisfy continuing education credits through FIU Online, and test preparation for the LSAT, GMAT, and GRE examinations are also available.
- Miami Dade College. Through this junior college with satellite campuses throughout Miami-Dade county, Florida residents can earn associate degrees entirely online. As the largest non-profit institution of higher learning in the United States, many of Miami Dade College’s students move on to larger universities to complete their undergraduate studies. For those not seeking degrees, however, Miami Dade also offers non-credit courses as well as continuing education credits for working professionals.
- Nova Southeastern University. One of the most popular schools for online college courses in Miami is Nova Southeastern University, which currently boasts 76 online degree and certificate programs. With campuses based in Miami, across Florida, and even in the Bahamas, students can pursue undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees. Some of the programs available online at the undergraduate degree levels include business, nursing, human resources, and education. Graduate and doctoral degree programs are available online in information technology, criminal justice, and occupational therapy.
- City College. With many campuses across Florida, City College offers the majority of its programs on-campus. However, those interested in earning a nursing degree can do so through City College’s RN to BSN online program. Previous courses in nursing can be used towards prerequisite credits, and the curriculum involves research, clinical aptitude, and professional leadership and management skills. Additionally, City College also offers an online diploma in private investigation services.
- Strayer University. This private, for-profit institution with campuses all over the country offers several online degrees, including bachelor’s, master’s, and associate degree programs in business administration, education, accounting, information systems, and criminal justice.