Online College Courses Available in Connecticut (CT)
Connecticut is one of the smallest states in the U.S. It’s nestled between New York, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island on the northeast Atlantic coast. Connecticut is the proud home of Yale University, one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in the country. Yale and a handful of other institutions offer online college courses in Connecticut.
New Haven. Located in southern Connecticut on the north shore of Long Island Sound, New Haven was founded in 1638. The city is home to Yale University, one of four institutions in New Haven offering online education.
- Albertus Magnus College. Albertus Magnus is a private, not-for-profit, Catholic college awarding bachelor’s and master’s degrees, along with professional certificates. The areas of study include fine arts, education, social sciences, and psychology. The college also has eLearning courses that can be completed online.
- Gateway Community College. Gateway Community is a public, two-year college awarding associate degrees and professional certificates. Students here can choose from a number of areas of study, such as business, engineering, and nursing. The school has a distance learning option that allows students to take online classes and hybrid classes, which blend online and classroom time.
- Southern Connecticut State University. Southern Connecticut State University is a four-year, public university that was founded in 1893. The school awards professional certificates, as well as bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees. Undergraduate degree programs include anthropology, physics, and computer sciences. Graduate degree programs include educational leadership, nursing, and creative writing. Through distance learning, students can take individual courses and even complete degree programs online.
- Yale University. Yale was founded in 1701 and has since become one of the most distinguished universities in the world. The school awards bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees through a large number of academic departments and programs. Open Yale provides free, public access to introductory classes taught by Yale professors via online education.
Hartford. Hartford is the capital city of Connecticut. It is home to the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, the oldest public art museum in the U.S. The city is also boasts a few institutions of higher education that offer classes online.
- Capital Community College. Capital Community is a public college awarding associate degrees and less-than-one-year and one-year certificates in areas such as criminal justice, early childhood education, and radiologic technology. Many of these programs are available online.
- Hartford Seminary. Hartford Seminary is a private, not-for-profit, religious institution. The seminary has become known for its library, which contains more than 92,000 volumes of books. This graduate school awards master’s and doctoral degrees, as well as graduate-level certificates in multiple disciplines of ministry and divinity. The school has some programs that are available online.
- Trinity College. Trinity was founded in 1823 and focuses on the liberal arts. The college awards undergraduate and graduate degrees, and has a long list of majors and minors that students can choose from. TC Online is a portal that allows Trinity students to take classes online.
- University of Hartford. Chartered in 1957, the University of Hartford now consists of seven schools and colleges, offering 84 undergraduate and more than 30 graduate programs, according to the school’s website. Students are able to take classes online through Blackboard, an eLearning platform.
New Britain. New Britain is just nine miles south of Hartford and was founded in 1687. The city is home to Central Connecticut State University and Charter Oak State College, both of which offer classes online.
- Central Connecticut State University. Central Connecticut State was founded in 1849 and is a public university awarding bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as professional certificates. The school has an extensive list of departments and programs to choose from, many of which have courses that can be taken online.
- Charter Oak State College. Charter Oak is a public college awarding associate and bachelor’s degrees, and professional certificates in areas including child and youth development, health care administration, and information systems studies. The college also features many online courses.