Look Good for Less as a College Student
Just because you’re a broke college student doesn’t mean you can’t look fashionable and pulled together. There are loads of ways to get great clothes that flatter your style and show off your best assets without paying a fortune for them– though it might take a bit more work than just making a trip to the mall. With a little work and not a lot of money, you can look and feel great and enjoy all the fun parts of being a college student in style. Here are some ways you can save big when shopping for clothes as a student.
- Don’t always buy new. There are plenty of consignment and thrift stores out there that carry great looking clothes for less. Sometimes you can even find perfectly good pieces with the tags still on them. This can help you save loads of money and you won’t always just be wearing the same styles as everyone else.
- Learn to tailor your own clothes. See a shirt you love at a bargain that’s hard to believe but in the wrong size? With a little practice and investment in a sewing machine, you can learn to tailor clothes are too big to fit you exactly. You’ll be able to work with a wider range of clothes and choose things that you love, no matter the size. Just make sure you know how to do it right before making the investment in the item!
- Head straight for the sale racks. If you’re trying to stay on a budget don’t even bother looking at the full price clothes. You’ll find the same types of styles on the sale rack anyway. In a few weeks, anything you admired at full price will likely be on sale and you can pick it up then.
- Set a budget. It’s important to decide up front what your spending limits will be as a student. Give yourself an allowance each month and stick to it.
- Shop online. There are some seriously great deals to be had online if you know where to look. Find amazing bargains on designer clothes, discounts on retail attire and even some amazing vintage pieces for much, much less.
- Work with what you have. The first place you should always look when shopping is in your own closet. There may be things you forgot you had or that could be re-purposed with a little effort. Nothing saves money like not spending any at all.
- Share clothes with a similarly sized friend. If you have a friend that’s about your size and likes similar clothing, both of you can save by trading off clothing you no longer wear or want. One person’s unwearable is another person’s treasure!
While it might be fun to go on a shopping spree at your favorite stores, your bank account will appreciate a more frugal approach to looking good. These ideas can help you create a unique and enviable personal style without breaking the bank, giving you the chance to not only have a great wardrobe but also build a strong financial future.