How to Find Summer Jobs in College

Whether you’re trying to save up money for the fall semester or need something to do while you’re temporarily away from your college buddies, summer jobs are a good way to put some extra money in your pocket and give you some field experience. But sometimes knowing where to look is the hardest part. Here are some tips on how to get some good leads on summer jobs.

If you want to work on campus, you need to apply as early as possible because most positions are filled as early as March. If you are taking summer school or want to have only a part-time job during the summer and want to be surrounded by people your own age, your best bet is to find a campus job. University employers tend to be more understanding about the importance of a flexible schedule and tend to pay more. Working in the library, parking garage or gymnasium are usually good choices.

Campus employers may or may not advertise for open positions, so it’s up to you to pay attention to see if any positions do open up. Look around for posters on bulletins, fliers in kiosks or if any buildings have "now hiring" signs. Also, if your college has a school newspaper, check out the classifieds section. All of the opportunities listed in there, whether located on campus or not, are tailored for college students. Most schools also offer online job banks where you can search not only for summer jobs, but also for paid and non-paid internships.

If you want to find a summer job that is not on campus, ask around. Sometimes your friends or parents might’ve heard something and can pass the information along to you. Also, check with your old place of employment to see if they need any additional help. Chances are, they’ll rehire you since they don’t have to re-train you. Also it’s a good idea to see if they’re hiring at any tourist spots such as theme parks, restaurants and the mall. These places tend to hire more seasonal workers.

Finally, CareerBuilder, Monster, Yahoo Jobs and Craiglist are good Web sites to consider when trying to find an off-campus job. But be wary. Some jobs are scams. If it sounds sketchy because they require you to buy anything or pay a certain amount of money for "special" training or certification, don’t apply.

Facebook Comments