Online College Courses in Virginia (VA)
One of the original thirteen colonies, the Commonwealth of Virginia is known for its historical roots and scenic atmosphere. The Commission on Higher Education manages the state's public colleges and universities. The Commission also works on policy reform that affects the instruction and cost of higher education. There are 176 institutions of higher learning in the state, with 82 that offer online college courses in Virginia.
Norfolk. Founded in 1682, Norfolk is an old city that prides itself on its history and culture. It's a diverse city that offers many opportunities for business, recreation, and education.
- ITT Technical Institute – Norfolk. ITT is a private school dedicated to educating students in technologically based fields. It has 7 schools of study with the opportunity to major in fields like graphic design and visual communications. ITT provides a flexible curriculum for working adults.
- Norfolk State University. NSU is a public university that was founded in 1935. It is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and can award undergraduate and graduate degrees both on campus and online.
- Old Dominion University. Old Dominion is a public university that prides itself on its dedication to research and modern technology. With a strong faculty, Old Dominion awards undergraduate and graduate degrees in a variety of areas, including nursing, fashion, art, and engineering. Some classes are offered online.
- Tidewater Community College. Tidewater is dedicated to preparing students for their future careers. With flexible scheduling and online class options, students have the opportunity to take classes despite having work or other obligations. Tidewater awards certificates and associate degrees.
Virginia Beach. Known for its miles of beachfront hotels and restaurants, Virginia Beach offers a multitude of recreational activities. There are also many options for higher education within the city.
- Advanced Technology Institute. ATI offers hands-on education in automotive technology, maritime welding, commercial driving, HVAC, and heavy vehicle technology. ATI's mission is to prepare students for their future careers. Courses can be taken both online and on the physical campus.
- ECPI College of Technology. ECPI offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in areas like information technology, network security, electronic, and more. It is a private, for-profit university, and it provides classes on campus and on the Internet.
- Regent University. A Christian university, Regent awards both undergraduate and graduate degrees. It offers a blend of spirituality and skill to develop well-rounded Christian leaders in areas like business, criminal justice, and religious studies.
- South University – Virginia Beach. South University boasts small class sizes for its many programs in fields like nursing, healthcare, business, and behavioral science. Many programs are offered wholly online, though students can opt to attend class on the physical campus as well.
Richmond. The capital of Virginia, Richmond rests at the fall line of the James River. It has many educational opportunities, and is a hub for business and law.
- Baptist Theological Seminary at Richmond. A faith-based institution, Baptist Theological Seminary offers advanced theological studies. It awards master's and doctorate degrees in ministry and divinity.
- Bryant and Stratton College – Richmond. Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, Bryant and Stratton is geared toward preparing students for their future careers. The college prides itself on offering flexible programs, including online classes, for students that work and have other obligations.
- Institute of Advanced Medical Esthetics. This institute instructs students in skincare, hair removal, massage, lip treatments, and other areas pertaining to esthetics. The institute has small class sizes and online class options in order to accommodate students. It also assists students with job placement after the students complete their programs.
- ITT Technical Institute – Richmond. ITT is a private school dedicated to educating students in technologically based fields. It has 7 schools of study with the opportunity to major in fields like graphic design and visual communications. ITT provides a flexible curriculum for working adults.
- J Sargeant Reynolds Community College. JSR was founded in 1972 with the goal of bringing higher education to the Richmond area. Today, it offers over 24 two-year programs and 43 certificate programs, many of which are offered online.
- University of Phoenix – Richmond. Accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, the University of Phoenix is a for-profit institution that offers campus-based and online programs for both in-state and out-of-state students. Students have the opportunity to pursue a variety of programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- University of Richmond. UR is a private liberal arts university that combines liberal arts studies with law, business, and leadership fields. It was named a "Best Value" college by U.S. News & World Report, and its business program is ranked No. 12 nationally by Bloomberg Businessweek.
- Virginia Commonwealth University. VCU was founded in 1779 and since then, has remained committed to preparing students for the workforce. It is considered a research university and enrolls over 32,000 students, many of whom take online classes.