100 Ethics Blogs Every Business Student Should Read
If you think you’re going to get a serious understanding of ethics just from taking a couple of b-law courses, you’re mistaken. Entrepreneurs, managers and ambitious business professionals need to master all kinds of subjects relating to ethics, including ethics theory, philosophy, human nature, group behavior, moral psychology, leadership and more. These 100 ethics blogs will introduce you to all kinds of ethics discussions and debates.
Ethics Theory and Philosophy
Business students who are also passionate about philosophy and the theories of ethics will want to check out these blogs to gain a deeper understanding of human behavior, the law and the nature of good vs. evil.
- Leiter Reports: A Philosophy Blog: This popular philosophy blog comments on academia and intellectual culture.
- Bosphorous Reflections: Barry Stocker’s Weblog: Barry Stocker’s blog tackles some heavy issues and philosophers, from Foucault to Aristotle.
- The Brooks Blog: Thom Brooks is a a political and legal philosopher at the University of Newcastle who focuses on American and British law, ethics, and crime and punishment.
- PEA Soup: PEA stands for philosophy, ethics and academia.
- Ethical Werewolf: You’ll get posts that reference classic and modern philosophers as well as commentary on politics.
- Ethics Etc: Head to this blog for discussion about contemporary ethics and philosophy.
- Experimental Philosophy: This blog comments on major business and economy stories as well as the world of philosophy.
- Gender, Race and Philosophy: The Blog: Writers and philosophers address issues relating to gender and race.
- Unideal Observers: A graduate student from Bowling Green State University located in Bowling Green, OH blogs about ethical theories, reason, and more.
- Public Reason: Those interested in political philosophy and ethics on a grand scale will want to follow this blog.
- The Garden of Forking Paths: Read this blog for posts about Agency Theory, including ethics, moral psychology and more.
- Think Tonk: Recent posts on Clayton Littlejohn’s blog cover justifications and apologies, politics, death, and judgment.
Business and Law
Learn about business accountability, copyright, entrepreneurship, international business law, and more.
- The Business Law Blog: Topics covered here include entrepreneurship, small business break-ups, and more.
- The Conglomerate: You’ll find posts about business, law, the economy and society on The Conglomerate.
- Law Blog – WSJ: The WSJ’s law blog focuses on business cases.
- China Law Blog: The China Law Blog covers Chinese b-law.
- Technology and Business Law: Sujatha Ganesan is a business and tech lawyer in the Silicon Valley and writes about copyright, b-law in India, and more.
- Business Law: Hanna Hasl-Kelchner blogs about b-law for AllBusiness.com.
- ContractsProf Blog: Learn all about contracts law when you follow this law professor blog.
- Moral Panics and the Copyright Wars: Learn all about copyright law and business here.
- Legal Ethics Forum: Topics here include terrorists’ rights, Ponzi schemes and more.
- Sentencing Law and Policy: This popular blog is written by law professors and considers legal ethics, the Constitution, and crime and punishment.
These watchdog blogs and investigative blogs track government policies, ethics scandals, unethical spending, and sketchy business and politics.
- Balkinization: Balkinization calls out world leaders, government policies, and entire societies as it considers the state of the world and where we’re headed.
- Talking Points Memo: TPM is known for investigative journalism and uncovering ethical and controversial issues in business and politics.
- Above the Law: If you want to know which big law firms are in trouble or what they’re paying their associates, follow this blog.
- theWatchdogBlog.org: Public Citizen’s Congress Watch publishes this blog that tracks spending in government.
- Watchdog: Newsday has a watchdog blog here.
- NiemanWatchdog: The Nieman Foundation at Harvard University asks the questions it thinks “the press should ask.”
- Consumer Watchdog: This blog stands up for consumers and follows business investigations and more.
- Texas Watchdog: Time Magazine remarked that this blog pursues “feisty investigations.”
- Tax Watchdog: The Detroit News’ blog calls out big tax scandals and legislation.
If you think that sustainability and environmental ethics don’t relate to you and your future career in business, you’re dead wrong. Read these blogs to promote green business, learn about new environmental laws and guidelines, and attract customers at the same time.
- Cruel Mistress: Learn about the issues impacting the environment, from businesses, societies and individuals.
- The Intersection: Discover Magazine’s blog discusses the intersection between humans and the environment.
- GreenBiz.com: This is a terrific resource for studying how the environment and environmental issues affect business practices today.
- FabianPattberg.com: Follow Fabian’s blog to learn about corporate social responsibility and sustainability.
- Strategy for Sustainability: Learn how to make a business more sustainable even during “turbulent times.”
- Marc Gunther: Marc Gunther is a writer, speaker and consultant on business and sustainability.
- Grist: Grist shares environmental news, legislation, trends and business issues.
- Walk Softly Blog: This blog shares tips for small businesses who want to adopt sustainable practices.
- Green Inc.: The NYT’s Green Inc. follows energy and green business.
- The Good Human: You’ll find tips for making any office more eco-friendly here.
Keep up with the latest ethics cases, research findings and more by following the blogs in this list.
- Practical Ethics: Get updated commentary and news stories from the ethics discussions around the world.
- The Becker-Posner Blog: Gary Becker and Richard Posner post intelligent, detailed commentaries about the future of society and the economy, as dictated by the leaders of today.
- Public Ethics Radio: Listen to reports about war theory, property rights, terrorism, health care, torture and more.
- ACS Blog: The American Constitution Society blogs about criminal justice, democracy, voting, liberty and equality, and the First Amendment.
- Althouse: Ann Althouse points out all the politically incorrect and ironic news stories of the day.
- Times Topics: Ethics: Track stories about all kinds of ethics theories, laws and issues here.
- Religion and Ethics Newsweekly: PBS’ blogs cover ethics issues in religion, culture, art, literature, politics, war and more.
- Chicago Tribune Ethics: The Chicago Tribune archives all of its stories about ethics here.
- ScienceDaily Ethics News: Browse videos, articles and blogs from the ethics pages at ScienceDaily here.
- Code Words: The Society of Professional Journalists talks ethics here.
- Ethics in the News: The Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington track legal and ethics cases on their blog.
- Ethical Issues in the News: Ethical topics here include migration, health care coverage, and headscarves.
Morality and Psychology
You’ll learn more about how people make decisions, what motivates people, and the basics of psychology from these blogs.
- PoliPsych.com Blog: Study drug laws, moral confabulation, moral foundations and more when you follow PoliPsych.
- Edge: Edge brings together brilliant minds to discuss human nature, passions, anthropology, society and psychology.
- The Splintered Mind: Follow this blog for “reflections in philosophy of psychology,” from Eric Schwitzgebel, philosophy professor at UC Riverside.
- Mind Hacks: Writer Tom Stafford tries to find out what’s going on in your brain.
- Cognitive Daily: Recent posts here include “What your Facebook page says about you” and “Men often treat their friends better than women do.”
- Neuromarketing: If you want to know which kinds of people make the best sales team or how to address failure, read this blog.
- Channel N: If you want to learn more about human behavior, watch the videos on Channel N.
- Psychology Today blogs: If you want to understand the way people think, act and judge in today’s society, read these blogs.
- We’re Only Human: Wray Herbert’s blog addresses everyday choices and psychology issues.
- Psyblog: Psyblog is a good reference for anyone wanting an accessible means of understanding the latest psychology and ethics research.
- World of Psychology: Learn all about depression, anxiety and other psychological disorders that you may encounter in the business world.
- The Situationist: This social psychology blog tackles human behavior.
Study economics ethics here.
- EconLog: The Library of Economics and Liberty blogs here.
- Economic Logic: This blog tries to prove that “there is economics in everything.”
- Mises Economics Blog: This economics blog deconstructs the (projected) value of money, wealth and a free market.
- Economics and Ethics: Study economic theory, practice and policy here.
- Economics One: John B. Taylor’s blog considers government, economic risk, economic policy, jobs, failure and ethics.
Corporate Ethics and Crime
From white collar crime to corporate social responsibility, these blogs cover the good and bad of corporate ethics.
- Crane and Matten Blog: The Crane Matten Blog addresses corporate social responsibility and business ethics.
- White Collar Crime Prof Blog: Professors from Stetson University College of Law discuss white collar crime.
- Talk Left: the politics of crime: This leftist blog reports on virtually everything, especially game playing in Washington and courtrooms.
Leadership and Entrepreneurship
If you intend to be a leader or manager, you’ll need to make sound ethical decisions in all aspects of business, from HR to marketing to customer service to finance.
- OpenBusiness: If you want to know more about open business culture, head to this blog to make sure you’re doing everything right.
- The Practice of Leadership: Learn how to influence the world through your own leadership.
- Leadership is a Verb: Here you should find inspiration to be a leader and mentor who values diversity.
- The Ethical Optimist: This blog favors “public relations with a conscience” and can be a good model for your own company.
- Work Matters: Learn how to be accountable, fair, productive and considerate.
- Great Leadership: Dan McCarthy shares leadership tips for decision-making, motivating and more.
- Servant Leadership Blog: This blog considers real leadership to come from serving others.
- Leadership at Work: John Baldoni blogs for Harvard Business Publishing here. Recent posts include “Use Humility to Improve Performance” and “Three Questions to Remove Ego from Decision Making.”
As technology continues to dominate many of the ways in which we do business today, you’ll want to understand tech laws, ethics cases, privacy issues, and more.
- Deeplinks: Get news roundups, Internet crime, bloggers’ rights and terms of abuse stories here.
- hearsay culture: This blog from the Stanford University radio show considers the relationship between modern technology, Internet issues and society.
- Concurring Opinions: If you want to learn more about tech law, head to this blog.
- Madisonian.net: Madisonian.net is another law, tech and society blog written by professors from top law schools around the country.
- Public Knowledge: This public interest blog shares information about your rights and the laws surrounding digital culture.
- Technology and Marketing Law by Eric Goldman: Follow this blog when you’re studying about Internet marketing and branding.
Continue to study human behavior, human relationships and anthropology when you check out these blogs.
- Philosophy Talk: The Blog: This postmodern philosophy blog considers how we all relate to one another.
- International Cognition and Culture Institute Blog: From evolution to the way we grieve, this blog studies human and animal nature.
- anthropologi.info: As you study news from the anthropology world, you’ll learn a lot about civilization’s ethical history too.
- Culture Matters: Culture Matters is another anthropology blog and considers how the field is used to study society.
- Savage Minds: Recent posts on this anthropology and psychology blog covered Fort Hood, ethical gossip, and moral obligation.
- Religion, Philosophy and Ethics Course: All readers are invited to join in the discussion led by students at the University of Gloucestershire.
You’ll find blogs relating to biomedical and science ethics, philosophy and religion, and more in this list.
- In Living Color: Animal ethics, ethics news, philosophy and religion are all discussed on this smart blog.
- Bioethics: If you want to enter into a health sciences or biological field, you’ll want to read this blog.
- Crooked Timber: Crooked Timber explores the issues and human errors that make us the imperfect specimens we are, from politics to economics to social justice.
- The Research Ethics Blog: This ethics blog follows human research subjects.
- Walking on the Theoretical Side of Life: This blog covers a range of topics, including the relationships between aesthetics and ethics and between the classical and modern worlds.
- Neuroethics and Law Blog: Study “legal and ethical issues related to the mind and brain” here.
- Brain Ethics: Study health care and science ethics at Brain Ethics.